The Board consists of 10 members who are active at a grass-roots level and well versed in the socio-political context from which Ilitha Labantu emerged. Specifically, it consists of Teachers, Doctors, Lawyers and Religious leaders from the community. The advisory board consists of five individuals who are experts in eras related to gender, health and politics.
The Board is a decision-making body. Board meetings are held four times a year. Their specific role includes the following:
- To guide the overall direction and development of the organization.
- To institute or defend legal proceedings by or against Ilitha Labantu on behalf or against individual members
- To ensure that the organization functions in the manner set out on its aims and objectives.
- To monitor the financial management of the organization.
- To give guidance and direct to the staff of Ilitha Labantu